1. Product Editing
fmEditProduct - Edit Product Form.
Edit Product Form
To edit osCommerce Product you can double click on it or use edit product button. It calls edit product form for selected product.
The availability of some of the "Edit Product" dialogue pages depends on on the fact whether you have an appropriate contribution installed or not. For example, osCommerce Products X-Sell page won't be available if you don't have an appropriate contribution installed.
Generally Store Manager has the following Edit osCommerce Product pages:
1. General (English)
Main Page contains general information on the osCommerce product. If you are creating a new osCommerce Product, pay attention to the fields marked with *. Those fields are required and others may be left blank or with default meanings.
- Date available - indicates the date to start publishing current osCommerce product at your store. In default settings it is the same as Date added.
- Date added - the date, when the osCommerce product was created. Date added fills in automatically when you’re adding new osCommerce product to a store.
- In stock - check this bow if this osCommerce product is available at your store.
- Name, Model - type the name and model of the osCommerce product. They will be reflected at your store page.
- Categories - this field allows assigning osCommerce product to some category(ies). One osCommerce product may be assigned to multiple categories. To assign osCommerce product to some category click "+" button and select a category from the drop-down. To remove selected category from list click "-".
- Manufacturer, Tax class, Quantity, Price (Net), Gross, Currency and Weight are standard osCommerce product properties. Drop-down lists allow to select or calculate values.
- Image - Select an Image by clicking:
to browse contents of your local folders and select an image. When you press OK button on edit form it will be uploaded to "Images directory" on FTP. When local image is selected, this field would display local image path like in the following example C:\My Images\some_image.jpg. Pay attention, that local image path will be replaced with image name some_image.jpg right after upload.
to select some image stored remotely. It's done by browsing contents of FTP folder specified as "Images directory".
to open Image Resize Rules window. You can add or delete rules if you need.
Click Ok to upload file.
- URL (without http://) - here you may place a link to osCommerce product manufacturer's site. For example, if you're selling Dutch tulips the link should take e.g. to Some Garden in Holland.
- Raw HTML Edit mode - allows you to see the description in HTML code when checked. All modifications to HTML will be saved without any corrections or changes. If this option is unchecked, Store manager will use WYSIWYG HTML Editor. Please note that this ActiveX control may implicitly modify HTML code and insert unexpected formatting.
- Description - Specify osCommerce product descriptions exactly in the way it's going to appear on product's page.
- Edit HTML button - shows new HTML editor window of osCommerce product description. It consists of 2 tabs: HTML and Code, and Properties Toolbar.
- Source preview is useful if you are working directly with "raw" HTML text, which gives you precise control over the tags used in the page. However, by default, you can still work with objects visually.
- View Product Page - Specify osCommerce Product Page URL here. To make sure the link is generated correctly, go to Tools -> Preferences -> Advanced and find the following line at the bottom:
You can uncheck "Same as database host" and type your store URL if it is not the same as your Database host.
Click Ok to save this entry and to close Edit osCommerce Product form. Click Apply to save changes and to proceed or click cancel to discard this entry. Also you can save changes automatically and go to the next product using ">" or back to the previous product using "<" button.
2. Language Tab
Language page(s) appear if you're using some language(s) other than your store's Language. That's way you are able to input all text that is going to appear on the page using Edit osCommerce product window. This page's options are actually an extract from general page's options, such as osCommerce Product name, URL to product page, osCommerce Product Description and Edit HTML option.
Please note that General page settings will appear in your store language which you set in Tools -> Store language (in our example its English).
3. Attributes Tab
You can edit the same Attributes in two ways. First is Attributes tab in the Edit osCommerce product window. The other is in the osCommerce Product Attributes Section on the Main Categories & Products Page.
Learn more about osCommerce Product Attributes below.
4. Featured Products Tab
Please note that this page will be available, if you have Featured osCommerce Products contribution Installed. This osCommerce contribution can be found here
On this page you can configure appearance of current osCommerce product in the list of featured items.
If you want to add a osCommerce product to the list of featured items simply check Add to FEATURED option. It doesn't automatically feature product at the store, but makes it available in Featured List. It gives you an opportunity to edit product's Featured status in Featured section, along with other featured products. There you can set time, when you've checked this box.
The following options in osCommerce are set automatically:
- Date added - indicates the date, when theo sCommerce product was added to featured list.
- Last modified - field represents the date, when you've made last changes in this osCommerce product status.
- Date status changed - automatically shows time when Featured status was changed (you can see it current meaning in the box right under Date Status Change option). Please note that even if you manually set this date, it won't change product status.
- Date expired - denotes the date, when Featured status will not be valid. You can set date when you'd like to stop displaying this osCommerce product as featured. If the Featured Status box is unchecked, expiration date won't influence anything as the product is not included in featured list.
Remember: osCommerce Product will be displayed at your store as Featured only when Featured Status checkbox is checked.
5. Special Products Tab
On this page you can configure appearance of current osCommerce product in the list of special items. It is similar to Featured Page, except that it has several additional New Price lines.
Add to SPECIALS option doesn't automatically make osCommerce product Special at the store, but makes it available in Specials List. It gives you an opportunity to edit osCommerce product's Special status in Specials section, along with other special products. There you can set time, when the osCommerce product has active Specials status (is Special), which is equal to the time when you've checked Specials status checkbox in this window. You can specify:
- Date added - indicates the date, when the osCommerce product was added to specials list.
- Last modified - field represents the date, when you've made last changes in this product status.
- Date status changed - automatically shows time when Specials status was changed (you can see it current meaning in the box right under Date Status Change option). Please note that even if you manually set this date, it won't change the statusof the product .
- New price (net or gross) gives the possibility to see the discount (how many percent off the current price you're providing). You can also use up/down arrows to change price (1% step). But if you wish to set some specific discount (let's say 25%), than new price will be automatically calculated. Please note, that if you're setting %, it has to be "-25" for discount and "25" to make new price 25% higher.
- Date expired - denotes the date, after which Specials status will not be valid any more. You can set date when you'd like to stop displaying this osCommerce product as special.
osCommerce Product will be displayed at your store as Special only when Specials Status check-box is checked.
6. Additional Fields
This page depends on additional contributions installed on your store. If there's a contribution that has any connection to product-related database fields, it will be shown on this page.
You can find osCommerce product ID and the product viewed number on this page. Product ID is a unique product identification that cannot be edited.
8. osCommerce Products X-Sell
You can add or delete osCommerce X-Sell (Cross-sell) products for current product as well as substitute one osCommerce X-Sell product with another (double click on it). You can find the same options to edit X-Sell products at the Edit product window and on the Main Cross-sell (X-Sell) Products Page. For more options look here.
Here are some related articles on osCommerce Product management:
How Would You Like to Edit osCommerce Products?
Design of Your osCommerce Store - What Really Matters